The Four Wheel Drive Zone
August 22, 2014, 05:52:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Four Wheel Drive Zone                 The 4wd Zone Shop is now open for business check it out now www.the4wdzone.com/shop              Dont forget to vote in the What brand do we drive poll just go into Member's Rigs                  There is now a for sale/wanted section to the forum                Are you a member of a 4wd Club? If you are PM Ace and find out how to get your own clubs forum                     If you own a 4wd related business PM Ace and become a site sponsor, its FREE!!!!

4wd Zone Home   Home   Help Search Arcade Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oz Pig pot belly stove  (Read 22159 times)
Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« on: March 25, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »

I bought one of these on the weekend (i know i could have made one but i didnt i bought it) and i am very happy with it, i havent had much of a chance to fiddle with it yet but its magic.

Made from a 9kg gas bottle it can be used to cook almost anything, it can be used with a camp over, a wok, kettle, toasted sandwich maker plus or just as a heater.

www.ozpig.com.au is the site for pics, i havent taken it out of the box yet.

It comes with two plates for cooking on, a spark arrester, chimney, camp oven picker uppera thing and 4 legs. It fits neatly into a bag and takes up not much more space in the car than a 9kg gas bottle and is much lighter.

$250 buys you the oz pig, the two plates, chimney, legs, a camp oven handle hook, wok and a heat diffuser to put on top for the kettle.

Great for camping, outdoor entertaining and can even have a flue hooked up so it can be used in the workshop to keep you warm. Matt

4wding, its the most fun you can have with your pants on.
MAV50L
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »

That spun me out when I looked at their site. Definately want to see how it goes.
Never heard of them until now.
Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »

That spun me out when I looked at their site. Definately want to see how it goes.
Never heard of them until now.

if i hadnt seen them using it i wouldnt have bought one, its hard to believe how well they work until you see them in action. I will take it to the funkahna and we can play with it there.

Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »

well, i've tested it a couple of times now and im getting the hang of it. I have canned the spark arrester thing on top of the chimney because it seems to suffocate the fire when you shut the door, without that on the chimney the fire burns much better, and takes off quicker when you light it.

It was very useful at the funkahna when everyones gas bottles and cheap little stoves (including mine, which had been left in the car all night) were all frozen and wouldnt light properly, so we fired up the pig and everyone cooked the bacon and eggs on that, very nice.

All in all i reckon its great and very useful, the only downside being that if you want to set up camp for a night you need to let it cool down after breaky in the morning before you can pack it in the car, and it takes up a little bit of space.

my_73middy
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »

what did you pay for the oz pig and how easyly available are they?Huh?
Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:51:54 PM »

i paid $250 for the pig, the heat diffuser to use for a kettle, a wok and the camp oven hook thing.

The are easily available through their website as far as i am aware or they are at most of the big 4wd shows. Matt

my_73middy
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »

i paid $250 for the pig, the heat diffuser to use for a kettle, a wok and the camp oven hook thing.

The are easily available through their website as far as i am aware or they are at most of the big 4wd shows. Matt

cool.....might look at one down the track.....it sounds like a good thing
Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »

cool.....might look at one down the track.....it sounds like a good thing

i am really happy with mine, as i said we wouldnt have had a hot breaky at the funkhana without it.

It takes some practice to get right but once you have it mastered its very good

my_73middy
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »

well i expect dinner cooked in yours some time soon
Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »

well i expect dinner cooked in yours some time soon

i will bring it along to the AGM you can check it out

DEFENDERZOOK
just call me SIR........
Global Moderator
Rock Crawler

in the shire....gods country.....sydneys south....

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »

so do you cook in it.......?

or just on it.......?

Lurch the Land Rover Defender X-treme Td5......

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Be safe.......use BIG rubbers........
Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:37:51 AM »

so do you cook in it.......?

or just on it.......?

no you cook on it. There are to hotplates on it, one directly on top and one to the side so you can cook stuff slowly on it. You can cook with a camp oven on it, quite easily. It fits perfectly over the hole on the top so you can get it nice and hot then you stick it on the hot plate to the side of the pig and turn the camp oven regularly to cook it evenly. Much cleaner and easier than coals. Matt

Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 05:08:52 PM »

Well, I have used the pig a few times now and its great, saved out Bacon (pardon the pun Grin) at the Peel funkana last year when everyones gas bottles froze and proved successful at this years event. I cooked a great camp oven roast on top of it. Just left the top open and sat the camp oven on top of it and put a shovel full of coals on the lid to brown the top of the chook.

I also cooked up a nice chicken stir fry in the wok on the friday night, very nice.

my_73middy
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 03:06:23 PM »

Well, I have used the pig a few times now and its great, saved out Bacon (pardon the pun Grin) at the Peel funkana last year when everyones gas bottles froze and proved successful at this years event. I cooked a great camp oven roast on top of it. Just left the top open and sat the camp oven on top of it and put a shovel full of coals on the lid to brown the top of the chook.

I also cooked up a nice chicken stir fry in the wok on the friday night, very nice.

you will make someone a good wife someday matt
Ace
Administrator
Ultimate 4WDer

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »

you will make someone a good wife someday matt

what can i say, i enjoy cooking, and experimenting with different stuff makes it even better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: